Friday, January 30, 2009

The Prediction

Two weeks ago, I thought this game was a lock. Steelers would easily win. The Steelers were the Steelers and the Cardinals were a fluke. I mean, really, a 9-7 team in the Super Bowl? Why don't we just put the Tampa Bay Rays in the World Series. Oh, wait a minute.



Then one week ago, I thought, well, maybe the Cardinals will be able to keep it close. They've got a pretty good offense, they're hot, maybe they won't get blown out.



Two days ago, the thought actually entered my mind that the Cardinals might even win this thing. All of the pundits said that the Steelers would win easily. When everyone starts going one way, I start to think about going the other way. I'm finally sold on Kurt Warner (thanks a lot, Chris), I'm buying into the Cardinal's defense. I thought the Cardinals would win.



This morning when I woke up, reality slapped me in the face and I came to my senses. The Steelers proved during the regular season that they were a better team. And the regular season isn't an aberration. They went 12-4, played a tough schedule in a tough division. They've been through the fire, they're battle-tested. I try to imagine a scenario where the Steelers defense can't contain the Cardinals--can't do it. I try to imagine a scenario where the Steelers offense can't move the ball against the Cardinals defense--can't do it.

Now, with that being said, I do think this will be closer than I originally thought. The line has Steelers favored (-7). The Cardinals offense will be able to score some points. The Steelers aren't going to light up the scoreboard. So I think this is going to be a pretty tight game. When it's all over, the Steelers will win, but can't cover. Take the Cardinals.

* Cardinals 23
Steelers 27

No comments: